Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Supermom adventure in Northern Mindanao - 2nd Part - Iligan City (Tinago Falls)


(This is the 2nd part of the travel adventure...you can read the 1st part here > http://supermomadventuremanila.blogspot.com/2010/05/supermom-travels-in-northern-mindanao.html )


From CDO, it takes around 1 1/2 hrs - 2 hrs going to Iligan City. Past 7 in the evening, we were fetched by Fram's friend Ann Maris and her husband Roy from the bus terminal. Ann was Fram's pen pal - way back 20+ years ago - we couldn't believe that it's their first time to see each other. A rare story, I thought it's only in the movies and novels, but theirs is true, up close and personal; established through letters and founded by trust ( I wish I'm a writer, I'll write a book about their friendship).

A sumptuous dinner has been prepared for us - a simple reflection of how hospitable this family is. We were gladly accepted in a beautiful home of an amazing family. The night was full of stories (most of them I couldn't relate to - hahaha!) but I had a wonderful time listening to them. The next morning, we attended the mass at the Redemptorist Chapel, a few blocks away from the Trinidad residence. Then we prepared ourselves for the trip to Tinago and Maria Cristina Falls. Roy was our driver, tour guide and camera man. 

After another long and winding rough road in Linamon, Lanao del Norte, we arrived at a "forest-like" place and trekked approximately 500 descending steps called the winding staircase. And there it is, another nature's beauty...wow - my jaw literally dropped upon the sight of the Tinago falls. My first time to see a real falls.
        Janet, Tita Miles, me, Fram and Ann --still looking fresh - just starting to go down
                                               and down...
                                              and there we are...
                         A marvelous scenery in the background...
Tinago falls is literally hidden in a deep ravine, the falls cascading beautifully into a basin-like pool (appears like a blue colored lagoon), clean, and icy cold. Under the falls is a small cave where people can enter and listen to the rumbling waters. Just being there seemed to calm my soul and to be thankful for such wonderful creation.

Ann found a friend there at the foot of the falls, and couldn't say no when we were invited for lunch. The food was great, we were all full and had fun eating with their baon. Janet, Tita Miles and I, swam or rather took a bath in the clear, cold and running waters, it was so much fun swimming with the current. Despite the limited time, we still were very fulfilled having experienced the waters of Tinago Falls.  

Going up was a true challenge, the air passage in my nose seemed to be narrower for all the oxygen and carbon dioxide to go through, thus I have to breath through my mouth, my heart seemed to pump the hardest. The first time ever to engage in such a super physical activity, I feared that I might faint or fall. We have to stop from time to time, I couldn't distinguish my wet clothes if it was still from the water or it was already my perspiration. With my best effort, I'm proud to say I made it to the top. Hahaha! Now I realize, I lacked exercise.

With a little rest, we proceeded to another falls - the Maria Cristina Falls. I have seen its pictures in my daughter's textbook, but it's more beautiful seeing it and just being there.
                            The beautiful Maria Cristina Falls...
                                         with the equally beautiful visitors...:)
Well-known for its natural beauty and grandeur, Maria Cristina Falls powers the Agus VI Hydroelectric Plant which is the primary source of electric power for the city and 70% of Mindanao's electricity. A little picture taking, then we went home to clean up, take a snack and off we go the market to buy pasalubongs. Then I made a night trip to Cagayan de Oro, left the three at Iligan, to be with my Tita and her family. The next day was our trip back to Manila.

It was such a memorable weekend for me, I'll be back to all these places soon!

(Special credit for Ate Fram and Roy for the beautiful shots, thanks.)


No comments: